Friday, 19 December 2014

Fangirl - Interview with Rainbow Rowell

Since we're both crazy about this book right now ... ;)



Interesting points:

- Did you ever really think Harry Potter is over? I mean sure, the books ended but ... I don't know, with the films, the merchandise, all those little stories, Pottermore ... somehow the story doesn't feel over to me. At least not completely.

- She mentions that she believes it's mostly teenage girls who write fanfiction - and I have to admit, I always picture a girl when I'm writing a review too xD. And then, when they turn out to be a guy I'm like: O____O WHAT IS THIS???

- One more reason to watch Star Wars for you :P!

- Do you know NaNoWriMo? I've always wanted to do that ... Granted, I'd have to have an idea first xD!

6 comments:

  1. Interesting interview! Thank you for sharing it with me!

    - Not really. Well I guess I was really afraid about that while reading the seventh book which is why it took me so long to finish it but now that I know that Hogwarts will always be there to welcome us home I've understood that it's never going to be over as long there are still some that are faithful to the series ;-)
    And of course with the new input we're getting via Pottermore and Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them (and got through the Tales of Beedle the Bard) it even goes on and on and on canon-wise (which does lead me to an interesting question: what do you consider canon? The books 1-7? Books & movies? Books & extra books? Books, extra books & Pottermore info? Everything she's ever said or written? Everything that has been somewhat "officially" produced??

    - EXACTLY!!!!!!!

    - Why?

    - More or less. I knew it was some form of intense writing since I've read a couple of stories that were written for NaNoWriMo but I've never wanted to do it ... until I read Fangirl and googled NaNoWriMo again because I had forgotten what exactly it was - but sadly it was already the beginning of december by then... (I think)

    Other interesting points:

    + "a junkie looking for a fix" - quite good comparison because sometimes that's exactly what it is o.O

    + I have some problems with her saying "if it's not a love story it's not real life, that's not a story" ARGGGGGGGGGGG

    + Hahaha signing ebook readers - or at least their cases xDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No prob ;)

      - Oh God - that's a hard question! Umm ... I suppose everything that's officially written or sanctioned by the author. However, ... I do make a distinction between the books (1-7) and all the other stuff too. Like the books are the "real" canon - and most of the other stuff is additional information, background stuff, etc. Somehow not really part of the story .... but nevertheless true.
      What's interesting in this regard is the kidnapping of Fortescue - I'm sure you've read all about how he was supposed to give Harry hints about the Hallows. Now, I don't know whether I'm going to accept that into "my" book canon - what do you think?

      - Because of the epic love story of course :P! And two lines which have gone down in film history, actually, which are in this movie ...

      - Really? Which stories were they? I'm not sure that I've ever read a story from NaNoWriMo! (Well, except for Fangirl of course xD!)

      + Lol, I was so thinking of Sherlock when you quoted that at me just now xD! But yeah I agree - especially when I want to read something happy and familiar I always turn to fanfic. It's like a pick-me-up.

      + Yeah, me too ... but on the other hand, I'm not sure she's talking about romantic love exclusively. At least in Fangirl, there's a huge focus on family love as well - which is just as much a part of the book's charm for me.

      + Modern times, girl ;)

      Delete
    2. - Same for me. I think I'll put that in my books+ canon. Like Harry could've gotten the info from him if he hadn't been kidnapped...

      - Luke, I'm your father?

      - Hmm, ... I'll have to check on that... I think there were a few

      + Pick-me-up, pull-me-down - there's one for every state of mind ;-)

      + I think she actually is (see ~ 4:00 - 4:30)

      Delete
    3. Re: Luke, I'm your father. --> Yep, that's one of them. Not gonna tell you the other one though ;)!

      Re: Love. --> Hmm, yeah, you're right. But I don't think she's saying that you can't have books without love. I think her argument is that just because there is love in a story doesn't make it any better or worse (well, it depends on the book, I suppose).

      Delete
    4. Star Wars: Why?

      Love: "If it's not a love story it's not real life" does sound a bit like that if you ask me...

      Delete
    5. Star Wars: Because that would be too easy ;)

      Love: Alright, I concede your point. I would still give her the benefit of the doubt, because she did not actually say that stories that do NOT contain love are bad or uninteresting ... but okay ;)

      Delete